homestead - Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Back to Mac
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:42:29 -0800

I've produced whole catelogs, small magazines and show programs with imported documents from every source imaginable, pictures, graphics, various size fonts, columns, tables, tables in columns, print running around the outside edge of pages, and everyother thing that people buy programs like PageMaker to do just using WordPerfect. I can set up columns and tables and have the program add the totals in the columns and then alphabetize them. Track all the dates on a document from inception to finished product. I like having a "fail safe" built in option and an auto draft save. I like being able to see all the codes and formatting from documents that I've imported and being able to tell the program to delete all the indents and it goes through and deletes them all. It also allows me to take an old scanned document and reformat it and even change the fonts.

BTW, I don't give a hoot one way or the other about Microsoft, I just don't like any of their wordprocessing programs. None of them or even all of them together can do the things I could do with the old WordStar faster or jump through the hoops I can make WordPerfect do. All of the various Words, including the newest edition, are clunky and cumbersome and simply don't have the capabilities that even an old version of WordPerfect does.

I just don't have the patience to put up with a slow program or one that means I need to have more than one program.

I didn't mean to start a discussion about word processing programs, I really wanted to know more about the operating system on the new Macs and wondered if they were more, hmmmm, creative or talented or whatever than Windows which I find to be a rather cumbersome attempt to duplicate the old Apple format, I guess you'd call it. At anyrate, I'm out and about looking at computers and dragging my heels over getting another PC or a Mac or a PC and getting rid of Windows and installing something else.

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Other than profiting a company easy to dislike, what is wrong with
Microsoft Word? I have used it to write several books, journals, and
other stuff and found it easy to use and it gets the job done fine.
It is easy to import into PageMaker, too, with all formatting preserved.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.