homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:20:07 -0600

Like that, the economic and social mess (or messes) we have landed ourselves in no longer have much to do with who's in office. The are the cumulative effect of our lifestyle choices.

We Americans have become fat and lazy. The poor among us live fatter than most of the rest of the world. The condition will not last. I tease that we don't need the truth and so we don't get it. We don't want the truth, it seems, and will not elect those who press it. Who today would vote for a campaigner who said we have to raise taxes to pay off the debt so we can invest our capital in our future instead of paying interest? Who would vote, short of a national emergency, for a politician who said we must learn to live with less? Who would vote for one who said we should pay the full price of gasoline?

I am pessimistic about the chance of achieving smaller government. On a positive note, this recent correction does show that the power pendulum is not locked. Power waxes and wanes. The DC Whorehouse instructs as it entertains. The cast changes but the beat goes on. What tragic fun.

Until this administration I felt it did not much matter who sat in the Oval Office. The political happenings of the last six years have caused me to understand I was wrong. The coming to power of this president and the way he has been used is hugely instructive.