homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Mar 98- Trashland Treasure
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:35:18 -0700

Lynda wrote:

Nope, you only have to step over the Oregon border into California into Del Norte and Humboldt Counties or travel west of you to the Coos Bay area or northwest to get plenty of rain year round. Certainly not 500 miles away.

This is a dream. There's no rain happening "year 'round" in Coos Bay. The stats are online. South of here it's only drier.

Here's a link to the 6-10 day rainfall outlook. The dotted lines are called "isohyets" (lines of equal rainfall). They used to label them more clearly. The background of isohets changes at this webpage to reflect the current season.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610prcp.new.gif

You make your choices. This is pretty dry area around here. Most Ponderosa pine forest areas are but we still have plenty of water. We made sure before we bought. There is plenty of ground water where the folks graze cattle around here and they don't feed all summer. They rotate pastures and the ground water keeps it relatively green all year. It is still green now even after weeks of 100 plus temperatures!

There's no water from snowmelt at my place, nor anywhere in the Coast Range. No doubt in the higher mountains one can find some summer greenery. I wouldn't consider living in a snow zone.

We did get thunderstorms in July but not enough rain to even damp down the dust. All we got from that summer storm were fires (now at 146,000 acres!) that still aren't contained.

If you study weather patterns long enough you'll see that a massive blocking surface high sits off Oregon all summer. The jet stream is constantly having to go around this high and enter the U. S. around Idaho. So if you travel that far east, or north, you'll be away from the main rain blocker.

Stick with what you know, L.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

I don't think Easterners realize how dry it is out West. I'm at a
fairly northern latitude and the dryness is still devastating. You have
to travel 500 miles further north or east to have much chance of a
summer shower.