homestead - Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What wildlife did you conserve and observe today
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:46:20 -0400

> The big butternut tree down by the stream has also dropped a large
> crop. It suffers the canker that has spread across its range so we
> plan for success with personal nurseries, hoping to preserve what
> natives call white walnuts.

Hi Gene; The lot in town where we have our Farmers' Market was covered
with
butternuts (someone who seemed knowledgable told me they were
butternuts...look like oval, sticky, light green black walnuts?).
Everyone was rolling around on them and swearing at them, so I gathered
them up (sticky little buggers!) and brought them home. What do I do with
them now? Treat them like black walnuts?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA