homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:18:38 -0400

Don Bowen wrote:
.

Wireless is slower than wired by about half even on a good connection. Wireless is available all over the place but range is short. It is a 2.4 gHz signal so all sorts of things attenuate it.
I have a wireless adapter with a 6 dBi antenna which helps some. I
also have an adapter with an antenna connection. I plan to hang
something like a Yagi on the batwing TV antenna. A short Yagi can
get 9 dBi gain. (every 3 dBi is a doubling of the signal).

Don, the above is absolute Greek to me. Is this really something I need
to learn for my potential use? What the heck is "hanging a Yagi", or do
I want to know? :)

Many places offer free wireless but many more charge. I found the
Texas rest areas offer free WiFi. $tarbucks, Borders, Barns & Noble,
Flying J, and others offer a paid connection. Many libraries have
free WiFi, it is cheaper than more computers. I have used WiFi much
more this year than last. Where I am parked now is in a Houston side
street and I am picking up an open WiFi connection.

So mostly, the whole WiFi thing is for travelers and those in cities?

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W