homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:51:54 -0500

At 6/23/2006, you wrote:
Thank you for the information, but I fail to see your
point. Dell laptops don't break, therefore the tech
support in India won't be needed? Is that it?

They are reliable and they do break. The trouble is that just about any tech support you call is off shore. Even those companies that claim to have tech support here maintain off shore centers. The latest wrinkle will be to locate at low wage US possessions such as Saipan.

With a combination of off shoring tech support and development and H1B immigrants the older US tech worker is now walking the streets or like me wandering around the country in a travel trailer. I do volunteer Red Cross technology team and many of the people in the classes are like me, too young to retire but unable to find a job because they are too old.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal