homestead - [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:18:09 -0400

I read a blurb on the Eartheasy site about using a laptop computer to
save energy. Since space is limited here, and I have an ancient, maxed
out with upgrades computer, I have been considering going with a laptop
or notebook instead of the standard desktop when it comes time to
replace this one. My computer nerd son in law says I shouldn't do it,
but he can't really give me a reason why other than laptops and
notebooks are harder to upgrade and I would have to replace them more
often. The site says..."Buying a new computer? Consider whether a
laptop could meet your needs. Laptops use 10 per cent or less of the
electricity consumed by typical desktop computers. When buying a laptop,
look for systems comprised completely of 3.3-volt components (processor,
memory and LCD). These systems use 40 to 50% less energy than 5.0-volt
systems, and are generally equipped with a lighter battery."
What are the disadvantages of notebooks and laptops compared to
desktops? What is the difference, other than size, between a notebook
and a laptop? How much more expensive are these 3.3 volt systems and
what does that mean 'lighter battery'?

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W