homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:34:37 -0400

Tim Oppenheim wrote:

You are actually seeing technology becoming more ubiquitous and less
of a novelty. Just think about how much easier everything is these
days compared to just 10 years ago.

There's a kid coming over tomorrow night-17 year old girl- who has more
downloaded music for her Ipod than some radio stations of old. Last
time she came over, she gave me a lesson on Ipods and portable DVD
players, both of which she brought with her. She also had another
little Ipod like thingy..I forget what it is called-same type of deal
though...
Anyway, this kid has been trying to bring me into the 21st century. :)
Most of these gadgets I would have no use for, and I tried to encourage
her to better herself in other, more exploratory ways, like getting
outside more. We are probably very good for each other. (She doesn't
have a mother and has had a hard life) The kid is very smart, a writer
to boot, but she is, after all, a kid who just turned 17 with very
little life experience beyond that which she sees on TV. She has no
clue about cooking-food to her comes out of a box or a bag. She has no
clue about nature-she has spent most of her life on a sofa in front of a
TV or computer. She's re-introducing me to pop culture and technology,
and I am trying to glean what usefulness I can from it, but so far,
there is very little that would be practical for my life. She did help
me with the settings on my digital camera, however. That's useful
because I use my camera to record progress on projects like a visual
journal.
This kid has theme music from rather obscure TV shows from the 1960's
and 1970's. She says she was born too late and likes "old TV", but she
has never been exposed to Celtic, Aboriginal, or any other kind of folk
music. She does have an appreciation for jazz and classical now,
however. :)
I don't know why I am rambling on....I suppose I miss my own kids a bit,
and it is sometimes very rewarding to see a 'youngster' realize that not
everyone is out there trying to download the most music or buy the
latest DVD or CD, or wear the trendiest clothes. She learns how things
used to be from me, and I learn how things are and will be from her. I
feel so ignorant sometimes when I am around techno-wise people.

But okay, while I am learning and asking dumb questions, can someone
explain to me exactly what a Palm Pilot is? I thought at first they
were like computerized organizers, but a lot of folks seem to have a lot
of software on them, like mini computers. What are their limitations?

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W