homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:00:51 -0400

BobTheWonderDog wrote:
Don't buy Sony because they use
proprietary software and non-compatible hardware.

I won't. I hate Sony. I bought a Sony home entertainment unit a couple
of years ago and on Day 366 of ownership, it quit. I learned that they
planned it that way, and the only way to fix it is to send it back for
some $70 upgrade to remove the code. I decided right then and there to
boycott Sony forever.

Don't buy Dell unless you like talking to people in Bangalore or
Calcutta.

Tech support for anything is based in Asia, it seems, but that is a
whole 'nother issue.
I get the Dell and Gateway brochures in the mail and have looked at
them. I bought my daughter a Gateway as a graduation present 3 years
ago and it is still going strong with no problems.
I can get brand recommendations later when the time comes, but for now,
I just want a quick catch up and run down on the technology.

The only real downsides to a
laptop are the crappy keyboard and the fact that the KB and screen
are hooked together.

Don't they make one now that be 'unhinged'?

Heck, for that
matter, you could probably get a wireless KB and mouse for $25.

You can do that with a laptop?

Yes, they are more difficult to fix, but so
is an automatic transmission or a heat pump. That's why we have
extended warranties and repair people.

I guess difficult also means expensive. What is likely to go wrong?

You will lose the benefit of having your existing desktop computer
and monitor act as a cozy space heater, though.

With my dogs in the house, I am constantly cleaning the fan on the
tower. I'm ready to ditch the tower, but will the laptop/notebook stand
up to all day use if plugged in the wall and how will that affect the
battery back up if I rarely go unplugged? Will not using it regularly
decrease it's lifespan?
And again, what is the difference between a notebook and a laptop?

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W