homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:40:24 -0400

Don Bowen wrote:
I have
a Dell Inspirion 8600. I have that one because of the big screen.
In a year and a half the only problems were a keyboard gone bad and
that was because of cat hair combined with one of them knocking over
my Pepsi.

Hi Don.....
May I ask how much that cost to fix?

Look for a Centrino tag. That refers to the processor inside. The Centrino is designed for low power and had part of the Wifi function
built in. I think it would be difficult to find a laptop without
centrino.

Warning, technical content: What the 3.3V vs 5V is all about is power
consumption and keeping the processor temperature within limits. The
faster you run a device the steeper the leading edge on the signals
or dv/dt, the change in voltage in time. The greater the change in
voltage in a shorter time the more power needed and dissipated. By
going to a lower voltage the power consumption is reduced. Reduced
power means reduced power dissipation, and a cooler processor. Some
people overclock the processors but use elaborate active cooling
systems to keep the processor from turning itself into a blob of silicon.

Actually, I understand that part...lol...even in our desktop, we have overheated the processor and had to get more powerful fans to save the motherboard.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W