homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:01:20 EDT

Don,

> They can pay people $800 a month there rather than the $8000 here. That
> money does not go to the workers remaining but to the top. Remaining
> workers are laid off as fast as they can move process off shore.

IIfeel sadly vendicated in my pronouncements of a decade ago when virtually
everyone's homestead plan included how they were going to move out beyond he
sidewalks and gain the cash part of their income by some sort of IT gig done
via modem.

The question begged itself, 'If the company can get their work done by paying
you in the wilds of the US, why couldn't they just pay someone in, oh, say,
India?"

The remonstrations were vehement. 'You don't understand, someone half way
around the world COULDN'T do my job, sometimes it takes a hands on approach,
uh,
special skills I have, uh, never going to happen that my job will be
exported.'

The outgoing tide is so strong that many people, on achieving IT credentials
here, go to India to work.

If our manufacturing could be sent overseas, our supposed "service economy"
was able to be transfered over the modem in a matter of seconds.