homestead - Re: [Homestead] computer use

  • From: BobTheWonderDog <r_s_banks AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] computer use
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

The 3.3 volt vs. 5.0 volt decision is not relevant -
just get a current design laptop that's not more than
a year or two old. They do use a lot less
electricity. Don't buy Sony because they use
proprietary software and non-compatible hardware.
Don't buy Dell unless you like talking to people in
Bangalore or Calcutta. The only real downsides to a
laptop are the crappy keyboard and the fact that the
KB and screen are hooked together. Heck, for that
matter, you could probably get a wireless KB and mouse
for $25. Yes, they are more difficult to fix, but so
is an automatic transmission or a heat pump. That's
why we have extended warranties and repair people.
You will lose the benefit of having your existing
desktop computer and monitor act as a cozy space
heater, though.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/r_s_banks%40yahoo.com
> View the archives at:

.