homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric, Bev

  • From: sjc <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric, Bev
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:01:59 -0400

At 03:38 PM 6/22/2006, Lynda wrote:

........Also, as I said, electric is cleaner. Burning gas is a dirty business and
your walls and ceiling will attest to that. I, personally, hate having to
clean the gas guck off ceilings and walls and inside the vents, etc. ..............

It that's the case you need to adjust or have someone adjust the burn. I have never had to clean gas residue off walls, vents, anything else.
And for the record I learned to cook on an electric range and happily used that until I moved as a 30 y/o adult to housing where the provided range was propane. Believe me, I've never looked back, and I've done a whale of a lot of cooking and canning since then; at one time there were about 20 of us to cook for.

And, I
personally, like being able to actually have a burner that will do a real
simmer for things like Noni's old-fashioned, traditional spaghetti sauce. ............

I can simmer anything I wish, in any amount, in as large or as small a pan as I wish. Never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to. Maybe an adjustment again?

And canning on an electric range just plain is a drag, if possible at all. Always having to find the optimum size pan and number of jars that would actually work........ugh. I never had an electric that was up to that task (admittedly never had one of the superduper pooperscooper types.).

And one thing I still like about my oven with a pilot: it's a never-fail place for making cheese and raising doughs, warming plates, whatever. It turns making yogurt and other fermentations (daily tasks around here) into routines are hasslefree.

Susan Jane, in Maine, who was sure glad to hear from Bev again! Welcome back!