homestead - [Homestead] A cord of wood

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] A cord of wood
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:26:05 -0400

I was doing some reading on toilet paper, of all things, and found this
little list that I thought was interesting. We use probably 2-3 cords
of wood a year to heat, on average. This past winter was very mild and
we barely used a cord. This kind of puts things in perspective.

One cord of wood will yield....

*1,000 pounds of toilet paper, OR

*30 Boston Rockers, or
*12 dining room tables (each table seats eight), or
*7,500,000 toothpicks, or
*460,000 personal checks, or
*89,870 sheets of letter head bond paper (size 8 ½" s 11"), or
*61,370 standard #10 envelopes, or
*14,384,000 commemorative-size postage stamps, or
*1,200 copies of the National Geographic, or
*2,700 copies of the average daily paper (35 pages), or
*250 copies of the Sunday New York Times, or
*942 one-pound books, or
*the heating value of one ton of coal, or
*the heating value of 200 gallons of fuel oil

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W