homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:51:07 -0600

In a Republic, our elected officials are supposed to govern according to the law (with the Constitution trumping any laws that congress craps out short of a Constitutional amendment, let alone any executive order).

Any law is ineffective unless enforced upon violation found. Our ultimate finders are nine justices. Nine humans applying their version of what the Constitution means. Hence the intense struggle to stack the court with those who interpret the Court literally versus substantively depending on circumstances.

Once the Supremes rule that an action is illegal, then the Justice Department must enforce the ruling. But at the onset, the Supremes decide which cases they will take. To elaborate on your apt tag line: when one party controls the executive, the legislative, and the judicial branches of our government, we no longer have a Republic; we have a tyranny with a tyrant supported by partisans who may fairly be judged criminals by citizens.