homestead - [Homestead] Sparkplugs

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sparkplugs
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:02:17 -0600

I need some information/advice about the spark plugs in my 1994 Jeep Cherokee. The two previous plug changes lasted a bit over 40,000 and 46,000, respectively. I didn't push the life of the plugs as they were in pretty good shape when I removed them. In September 2004, I took out Bosch Platinum with 46, 000 miles on them, and put Bosch Platinum back in. This past week, the car was running a bit rough, so yesterday, I pulled a plug and it was badly burned. Last night, I bought Champion Platinum and put them in today. All 6 of the Bosch I removed are badly burned, and only have 8,225 miles on them. My driving patterns haven't changed. The Jeep seems to run well for a vehicle with 179,000 miles on it.

I am bumfuzzled. The only thing that I can guess is I did not change the spark plug wires in 2004. They were last changed in 2000, so have 46,000 plus 8,000 miles on them, which adds up to more than 54,000 miles.

I am going back into town to get spark plug wires. Do you think that is the problem or is there something else that I need to do?

Thanks,

Jerry Shepperd