homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Dick Fischbeck <dick_fischbeck AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:45:12 -0800 (PST)

> > >I am thinking very light weight metal, portable and slabless homes.
> >
> > Have you spent much time in a totally metal building?

I take it you are anti-metal homes, or would that be an overstatement?

I lived in a 5 meter diameter metal shell for a year.

> >They tend to be cold
> > and lifeless. Metal conducts heat and cold very quickly so needs special
> > insulation and ventilation design to disallow condensation and subsequent
> > rot of interior wood.

Lifeless? I'm talking about saving lives. There is nothing lifeless about
that idea, if metal
homes are part of the solution to the refuge shelter problem.

> Humans respond to their abodes psychologically; it is
> > important that certain design factors are employed.

My concern is the physical survival of disaster victims.

> Have you read Pattern
> > Language? Also suggest you research the Farraday cage effect.
>
> I'll google them.

I can get you a list written by Bucky about the requirements for a home as he
saw it in 1927. Many
lists of requirements are out there but is there much argument about
availibility and safety as
the top two requirements regarding a home?

I don't see where Faraday cage effect has any relevance here.

> >What we now have is not a proof that metal homes can't be built right.
>
> What is your criteria for being built "right"?

Ultra-low-cost, light weight, safe and comfortable.

> > >They tend to be cold
> > > and lifeless. Metal conducts heat and cold very quickly so needs special
> > > insulation and ventilation design to disallow condensation and
> > subsequent rot of interior wood.
> >
> >I don't agree. I like metal a lot.
>
> What is it that you don't agree with, the first or second sentence?

Metal structures don't need to be cold and lifeless.

A well designed metal home will not have condensation problems.

> >What is special insulation?
>
> Don responded to that. Any insulation next to a metal skin must be
> unaffected by moisture or it loses its insulation value. When warm, moist
> interior air hits cold metal, the moisture condenses out of the air and
> clings to and runs down on the metal. Any untreated wood--like
> purlins--that is continually wetted will rot, and informed people do not
> want treated wood inside their homes. Any insulation such as fiberglass
> becomes soaked and looses its insulation quality. One solution is to leave
> a dead-air space next to the metal and to have adequate insulation and
> interior air-tight barrier to keep the warm, moist air inside the structure
> and away from the metal. I suspect that in a humid climate there will be a
> problem in certain weather conditions unless there is good air flow just
> under the metal skin. But, unless the residents are willing to live in a
> totally metal structure, there will be wood connected to the metal at some
> point, and almost certainly at doors and windows because metal frames on
> doors and windows are highly energy inefficient.

Again, I am interested in discussing solutions to the after-tent-stage of a
disaster. What comes
after the tent-?-!-?-! What is the scientific 21st century shelter
solution(after atrps and tents)
to this most recent earthquake in Pakistan?

> >Availability is the number one factor(some shelter is better than no
> >shelter). Safety is number
> >two factor.
>
> Well, as to availability, tents go up much faster than metal buildings and
> can cover much larger areas.
>
> >After that, it's anyone guess.
>
> Are you serious? Far from guesswork, many factors are well known. The
> design features of homes are vitally important to human health and
> happiness. There are a large number of factors that make houses homes.
> Architects spend much time studying these factors and learning how to
> incorporate them into the houses they design.

I am serious. Maybe I should not have said that the way I did leaving the
question too wide open
but it is an academic debate to decide what is required of a home after
availablity and safety are
exist.

http://mail.yahoo.com