homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:07:25 -0500

At 11/11/2005, you wrote:
I was hoping to find people here exploring alternatives to the tried and true. The idea is, can
we use our current industrial capabilities to mass produce ultra-low-cost, air-deliverable
shelters suited for many climatic regions. That's what I'm asking. I'm talking about McShelter.
What do we have now?

Go back to the Fuller links. His idea was a metal house that would arrive on site on a single flat bed trailer which in his time would be about 15,000#. Everything on the trailer would be used including the shipping container, the trailer would leave empty with no scrap left behind.

His early ideas that were to become temporary military housing during WW II. He used ideas from the Butler steel grain bins of the time. His later ideas used materials and techniques developed by the aircraft industry during WW II. Who knows what ideas could be developed with modern materials and techniques.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588269&longitude=-82.629132