homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "WF Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>, "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:36:23 -0600

One other thing (Sorry, I'm in the grog tonight)-

I also often am, which is probably why I did not talk about my two different projects, the new storage/shop building and the older A-frame retrofit.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet I don't think, is that if the slab
is poured without a vapor barrier or if you have a dirt floor hardly
anything will help with moisture except ventilation.

Excellent point.

The new building will be on slab on grade. The A-frame is on piers on sloping land. The builder installed paper-faced fiberglass batting from the bottom, which is now mostly hanging down. Nasty job cleaning all that out before starting over. I was going to put foil-faced Celotex on the bottom of the joists and tape the seams, but there are a lot of squirrels up there and I wonder if they would chew on the Celotex.