homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:14:53 -0800

When I wrote that other stuff, I hadn't read your post yet. Indeed, it seems to be vinyl, at least on the bottom. A house for humans might be heated to the point where the moisture won't collect on the vinyl, but the most heat I expect to provide is a seed mat for the iguanas.

The reasons I am inclined to obsess a little isn't because of Gene's post, but because I've seen the extreme condensation just on my bedroom window, and because the contractor said something ominous one day to the effect that "you should keep the shed well-ventilated."

Bill

Warren F. Smith wrote:

You folks are somewhat over complicating the insulation/condensation issue.
Condensation happens when warmer, moister interior air contacts the colder
metal panels. The solution used for years and years in pre-engineered metal
buildings is fiberglas insulation with surprise, a vinyl vapor barrier. Once
the envelope is sealed with that system treated lumber is not required, and
additional, more conventional insulation can be added.

http://www.naima.org/pages/resources/faq/faq_metal.html