homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:23:37 -0600

The solution used for years and years in pre-engineered metal
buildings is fiberglas insulation with surprise, a vinyl vapor barrier. Once
the envelope is sealed with that system treated lumber is not required, and
additional, more conventional insulation can be added.

http://www.naima.org/pages/resources/faq/faq_metal.html

Warren, that will work on new metal buildings. But I called my local building supply place and what they carry is six foot wide. It is intended to be placed on the purlins just before the metal is put on.

My other project is retrofitting an A-frame cabin that a guy built here who didn't know much of building and who wouldn't take any advice. The A-frames are on four-foot centers, so the six-foot faced fiberglass won't work. That is my focus for the Celotex, then fiberglass, then interior vapor barrier design.