homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:52:37 -0500

At 11/11/2005, you wrote:
"Is anyone building metal structures, either domes or cylinders or anything?
Quonset huts are an old solution to deployable cheap long-lasting shelters
and that is the subject I am investigating.
What is the next step in shelter after tarps and tents??"

For an interesting perspective on how many different people in many different climates have solved the problem read "Shelter","Shelter II", and "Home Work: The Owner Built Home" by Loyd Kahn. For a more narrow but equally fascinating view read "Native American Architecture" by Nabokov and Easton;

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588269&longitude=-82.629132