homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:26:32 -0600

> Any untreated wood--like purlins--that is continually wetted will rot, and informed people do not want treated wood inside their homes.

Informed? Why would someone not want treated wood inside their home if it is not subject to physical abrasion nor to leaching? Most homeowners don't eat their purlins.

James, you have long since convinced me that you often eat your purlins and anything else you can get your fangs into. You can use treated wood for counter tops, cutting boards and stirring spoons for all I care. Use a treated and shredded one-by for a toothbrush. You are downstream from me.

On this list we had a long discussion on treated wood a few years ago and our conclusion was that treated wood might be "safe" under many circumstances but there is no reason to take chances with the health of our children or ourselves with unnecessary chemicals in our houses that may or may not find their way into our bodies.

Most treated wood now days is treated with copper naphthanate or equivalent and does not yield heavy metals in a toxic form.

There is much controversy on the subject. It is my understanding that CCA--chromated copper arsenate-is no longer legal. I've used the stuff. I don't anymore. I don't care to cut it and breathe the sawdust; I don't care to have it where a grandchild might touch it and then lick their fingers; I don't care to take unnecessary chances. There are other design options I prefer. You do as you like.