homestead - Re: [Homestead] metal homes

  • From: Dick Fischbeck <dick_fischbeck AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:06:56 -0800 (PST)

> From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Homestead] metal homes

> >"Is anyone building metal structures, either domes or cylinders or
> >anything?
> >Quonset huts are an old solution to deployable cheap long-lasting shelters
> >and that is the subject I am investigating.
> >What is the next step in shelter after tarps and tents??"
>
> For an interesting perspective on how many different people in many
> different climates have solved the problem read "Shelter","Shelter II", and
> "Home Work: The Owner Built Home" by Loyd Kahn. For a more narrow but
> equally fascinating view read "Native American Architecture" by Nabokov and
> Easton;

Yes. I know some of these books and will check out the others.

I was hoping to find people here exploring alternatives to the tried and
true. The idea is, can
we use our current industrial capabilities to mass produce ultra-low-cost,
air-deliverable
shelters suited for many climatic regions. That's what I'm asking. I'm
talking about McShelter.
What do we have now?

I have nothing against traditional solutions to home construction. I loved my
tipi.

http://mail.yahoo.com