homestead - [Homestead] How did you make the break?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Homestead" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] How did you make the break?
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 18:58:42 -0400

Hey all, been in lurk mode here for a while. Busy making some final improvements on my city house so it can go on the crazy real estate market here in South Florida and we can make a break to the land I have in Virginia. Equity in the house here will hopefully pay off the land in VA and get me situated in the old house that once was a part of the property or in an old mobile. Here is an outline of my plan:

1. End of May - go to VA, talk to well driller, bulldozer guy about well and septic, electric. (If I am successful in convincing the owner of the old house to sell, this step goes away).

2. July - city house on market.

3. Close on house - quit job and move in with relatives (they offered a basement apartment) in DC area. That puts us 2 hours from property.

4. Find old trailer and get it moved to the site that will already have the electric pole, septic and well. (Or get old house in shape to live in; a several month project).

5. Move in.

This is really over-simplified to be brief and I understand that there will be setbacks, many other projects to do. I am interested in what you all think? Would it be easier to leave the site prep step until I get on the property? I want to be sure that we have water before I get the trailer in and think it would make getting the trailer in less complicated. Should I save it for later in the year and just concentrate on getting this house sold.

The housing market in South Florida is wildly crazy right now and I feel like this is the time to cash in on this house that I bought as an investment to pay for country property.

I did do one big step last week. Found a 1985 F150 truck and bought it. It is in good shape mechanically, just gave it a major tune up today. Plan to get rid of my truck (and it's loan) in a month or so if the old truck works out. That will be my transportation when on land. While I am making the city salary, I am trying to stock up on tools, etc that will be valuable later.

I am interested in how other people made the shift to the country and what they would do differently. Also interested in what plans other wannabes like me have made to achieve that goal.

Sorry to ramble so much and everyone remember to tell your mom you love her this weekend!!!

Rob in FL