corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: John Lupia <jlupia2 AT excite.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:12:20 -0700 (PDT)

Loren Rosson III wrote:

>I originally thought John was not so much
> denying the existence of a consensus altogether, but
> rather taking issue with the pre-critical appeal to
> consensus as if that settled the issue in advance.

Your original thoughts Loren as you stated above were correct. I do not
find those who argue against St. Paul's authorship of some epistles ever
show a cognizance of
Kenneth J. Neumann, The Authenticity of the Pauline Epistles in the Light of
Stylostatistical Analysis. SBLDS, no. 120. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1990.
This is rather unfortunate since Dr. Neumann has provided a very sound study
that affirms St. Paul's authorship for the entire Pauline corpus. My
posting intended to bring this study to the attention of those who are
researching this issue so that they might read it and incorporate its
research into their discussions. I also intended to suggest by my original
comment that appealing to a consensus when making an argument is not to be
preferred to a serious discussion based on factual evidence. Dr. Neumann
has made a definitive stylostatistical study that is based on factual
evidence, namely the texts, and an analysis that should be given attention
by researchers engaging in research on St. Paul's authorship.

Cordially in Christ,
John
<><

John N. Lupia
501 North Avenue B-1
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
JLupia2 AT excite.com
"during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
. unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/