corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: RSBrenchley AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:24:49 EDT

<<Which Jewish scriptures? I thought I already mentioned the LXX. The Greek
translation from the Hebrew by 70 Jewish scholars around 200 B.C!

The ta hiera grammata of 2 Tim. 3:15. The "it is written" formula on the
lips of Jesus (Mt. 4 and Lk. 4). The Law and Prophets of Mt. 5:17.
References in John 20:9; Gal. 3:22; 2 Pet. 1:20. The written code in Rom.
2:27, 29; 7:6; 2 Cor. 3:6. ALL these refer to the Jewish Scriptures that we
call OT today. Please don't ask me to do your homework here. I hope this
helps.>>

But then Jude quotes 1 Enoch, and, if I remember correctly, the Testament
of Moses. I'm very well aware that the NT frequently quotes the LXX, but it
does not do so exclusively. I wonder if it isn't anachronistic to apply the
idea of a canon of scripture to the NT period. I wonder about the story
regarding the 70 scholars as well; it's all too good to be believed. Please
sign your posts, incidentally; failure to do so is a breach of List protocols.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley AT aol.com