corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: John Lupia <jlupia2 AT excite.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:15:32 -0700 (PDT)

Zeba Crook wrote:

> It's one thing to do the work and arrive at a non-consensus opinion about
the
> authenticity of possibly non-Pauline letters, but to pretend there is no
consensus, or
> to suggest that that consensus has been built on and perpetuated by poor
scholarship
> (especially when all you're doing is reintroducing canonical or
traditional "evidence")
> disqualifies you from being taken seriously as a responsible scholar, if
responsible
> scholarship partly entails at least the ability to portray accurately the
state of the
> field.

I am unclear what sparked such an emotionally charged response to a posting
that referred to a highly authoratative study that scientifically analyzed
the Pauline corpus and published test results that show that they were all
written by the same author:
Kenneth J. Neumann, The Authenticity of the Pauline Epistles in the Light of
Stylostatistical Analysis. SBLDS, no. 120. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1990.

I still recommend this work and suggest to anyone interested in the question
of the authorship of St. Paul for the entire Pauline corpus that this is a
study that is essential. This study does not contain canonical or
traditional "evidence" but is a scientific and mathematical analysis that
measures elements of linguistic usage. How this disqualifies me from being
taken seriously as a responsible scholar is rather curious? Best wishes for
you Zeba.

Cordially in Christ,
John
<><

John N. Lupia
501 North Avenue B-1
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07208-1731 USA
JLupia2 AT excite.com
"during this important time, as the eve of the new millennium approaches . .
. unity among all Christians of the various confessions will increase until
they reach full communion." John Paul II, Tertio Millennio Adveniente, 16

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/