corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:02:51 -0400

John Lupia says:

>>This outdated opinion [that there are seven undisputed letters] is
very far from being a concensensus. I refer you to an excellent study
that provides very strong evidence that all Pauline epistles are from
the same author:

Kenneth J. Neumann, The Authenticity of the Pauline Epistles in the
Light of Stylostatistical Analysis. SBLDS, no. 120. Atlanta: Scholars
Press, 1990.<<

For some time I have been thinking of obtaining that book. However,
did not A. Q. Morton & James McLeman's _Paul, the Man and the Myth_
(1966) end up more-or-less confirming the "short list" concept (in
their case, Romans, 1-2 Corinthians & Galatians)? While associations
seem to exist between Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians, and
between 1-2 Thessalonians and between 1-2 Timothy, the sample sizes
are also very small, making the degree of certainty of the statistical
results too imprecise to be conclusive. They also question the logic
used by both those who assert that there is a major group of
undisputed epistles and those who assert the unity of them all.

If you have the time, could you summarize the important points of
Neumann's book? I'd be very interested in getting a better idea of
what he did and what importance it has with regard to possible
authorship of the Pauline epistles.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio, USA