corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Karl Schmidtke <karlschmidtke_1999 AT yahoo.de>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:10:34 +0200 (CEST)

"Mesfin Atlaye" <mesfin AT idirect.com> schrieb:

> What "Scripture" meant to the NT writers is none
> other that the Jewish scriptures.

This, I believe is fundamentally incorrect as a
careful reading of this particular verse would
indicate. "Confident assertion without cognitive
assiduity."

> And 1 Tim. 5:18 seems to refer to Deut.
> 25:4 (LXX).

This, I believe could be described as a half-truth
which does not address the point at issue. Might I
suggest reading along to the end of the verse?

> Besides, the general consensus is that the pastoral
> epistles are not strong cases to argue on Paul's
> thought.

This misreads my original statement which reflected on
a previous consensus (associated with Jerome and the
Christian tradition more generally) in a rather more
nuanced manner than you seem to have appreciated. A
consenus, as Rudolf Bultmann used to say, is about as
useful in an argument as Charlie Brown's blanket: it
may give you security and help you feel warm, but it
should be discarded by adult scholars.

Yours in charity

Karl

=====