corpus-paul - Re: Paul's Gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul's Gospel
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:41:03 -0500

Bob and/or Leonora Hunter wrote:

> I'd appreciate the Corpus-Paul List owner, Jeffrey Gibson, advising us
> whether it is List policy or just Elli Elliott's opinion that participants
> should have to make an argument that the letter is Paul's own when
> introducing evidence in a List discussion from a letter other than one of
> the seven letters recognized by scholarly consensus as Paul's.

I don't want to give a definitive answer on this without first consulting the
other
moderators of C-P -- Edgar Krentz, Sheila McGinn, and David Scholer. In the
meantime,
what I think might be appropriate is that in arguing a case about Paul's view
on "X",
one tries first to support one's point, if one can, from evidence derived
from the
seven undisputed letters and only **after this** use evidence from the
disputed ones.
It is my guess -- though I've never taken a survey to see if the guess is
correct --
that the majority of professional scholars who reside on C-P do not regard the
Pastorals and Ephesians as "authentic". So any one who appeals solely or
principally to
these letters for evidence for Paul's view on "X" runs the risk of having
most of the
professionals here attribute little credence to what ever it is he/she is
trying to
assert. In other words, one who holds the Pastorals to be authentic should
not have to
mount an argument for authenticity each time one uses evidence from these
letters. But
he/she should not be surprised when others here do not find the argument
wholly
convincing.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson