corpus-paul - Re: C-P Summer Reading

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jim Hester" <hester AT jasper.uor.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: C-P Summer Reading
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 20:59:15 -0700

Boy do I like this "summer reading" idea, although if Jeff Peterson will
permit it, I would like to suggest some things that might not necessarily
end up on a seminarian's or pastor's shelf.

Kathy Eden, Hermeneutics and the Rhetorical Tradition: Chapters in the
Ancient Legacy and its Humanist Reception, Yale University Press, 1997

It list it because she forced me to re-think the relationship of
rhetoric to hermeneutic and argues that foundationalist
understanding of argumentation misunderstands the classic rhetorical
theorists -- there ain't a single truth that once described can be
applied to a case free of contextual constraints (pace Plato!). They
were concerned with relating the parts of an argument
to the whole and being pragmatic in their use of argumentation. Thus
understanding the arguments in Paul's letters becomes in part
understanding the topography of his thought in a letter, not a
description of the trajectory of his thought.

Kjell Arne Morland, The Rhetoric of Curse in Galatians, Scholars Press,
1995.

I list it because it makes good use of semantic field analysis --
a method not widely applied by pauline scholars -- and has the best
exegesis of the anathema and cursing formulas in Galatians that I
know about.

Anders Eriksson, Traditions as Rhetorical Proof: Pauline Argumentation in 1
Corinthians, Almqvist & Wiksell International, 1998.

Quite simply the best rhetorical critical analysis of 1 Corinthians
that I know. Anders is able to use both ancient and modern theory to
illustrate, among other things, that the argumentation in 1 Corinthians
is coherent and audience centered. That is, it is of a piece and
written to an audience that knew the traditions and could, therefore,
complete the argument Paul was making.

Jim Hester
736 Buckingham Drive
Redlands, CA 92374