corpus-paul - Re: C-P Summer Reading

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Debbie Gaunt" <debbie.gaunt AT dial.pipex.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: C-P Summer Reading
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 20:17:55 +0100

Hi, Jeff,
You wrote:

> With the semester winding down, it's time to begin compiling summer
> reading lists. To that end, I invite all list members to name the 10 or so
> books that have most informed their understanding of the Pauline corpus in
> the past several years. Three suggestions for compilers: (1) Works need
> not have appeared recently but must have significantly shaped one's recent
> thinking. (2) Books need not concern Paul exclusively, but must have
> substantially informed one's mental portrait of the apostle. (3) Listing a
> book constitutes not an unqualified endorsement but an indication of the
> book's stimulus to meaningful reflection.

Here's a list - not 10 because you and Mark have already cobvered some of
them.

Meggitt, Justin Paul, Poverty and Survival
Donfried, Karl (ed) The Romans Debate
Elliott, Neil Liberating Paul
Dunn The Theology of Paul the Apostle
Walters, James C Ethnic issues in Paul's letter to the Romans
Witherington, Ben 111 The Paul Quest
Ascough, Richard S What Are They Saying About the Formation of
Pauline Churches
Fiorenze In Memory of Her

(The other two were Sanders and Meeks if you're interested)

And for Ray's benefit, the top one would be Elliott.

Regards,

Debbie

--
Urban Theology Unit, Sheffield,UK