corpus-paul - RE: C-P Summer Reading

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jerry Sumney <jsumney AT lextheo.edu>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: C-P Summer Reading
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 20:50:03 -0400

I would recommend Beker followed by the 3 volumes from the Pauline Theology
Group of the SBL. They worked with and modified some of Beker's program.
They produced what I think is the most important work on Paul over the
past decade. Dunn, though a part of that group did not use its methods in
his theology and rather relied on older (and now less credible IMHO)
approaches to Paul. Particularly, using Romans as the guide to Paul's
theology seems not to give sufficient weight to that letter's particularity
and so the contextual nature of the exposition of Paul's teaching given
there.

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone