ch-scene - Re: Smoke

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Matt" <matt.kalb AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Smoke
  • Date: 19 Jan 2006 15:43:23 -0800

> sample of two, actually, cause deerhoof did the same thing at kings.
> one fucker smoked anyway, and a member of the crowd actually yelled at
> him.

At that very same Deerhoof show, which Hotel Motel was unconscionably
lucky enough to open, the drummer actually asked me about the
smoke-freeness. I pointed out the signs explicitly stating this was by
request of the band, but he had no idea (or pretended to have no idea).
I wondered if he was shy about it, but then why bring it up?

So I decided they must have a booking agent who feels parental concern
for the band. Bands at that age are difficult. S/he probably has to
drop them off two blocks from the show so as not to embarrass Deerhoof
in front of its friends. You can just see her/him tousling Deerhoof's
hair or maybe trying to give it a hug as they just pull themselves
away. But then you feel good when all of a sudden there's this big
party and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah pulls out some smokes and is like,
"You wanna cigarrete?" but Deerhoof just says "No, thanks," kind of
rolls its eyes, and gets back its animated conversation with cute bands
of the opposite sex who are giggling.

Agents who talk to their bands about smoking are less likely to have
bands who smoke.

Oh, right. I should have told you this is off-topic.

Matt