ch-scene - Re: Smoke

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Smoke
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:03:45 -0500

Mary Anne Barckhoff wrote:
Omigod, The Cave was the absolute WORST for smoke levels. I am a
smoker (yeah, yeah, I know - EVIL) and I couldn't stand the amount
of smoke in the Cave.

Personally, I have no problem with going outside to smoke... but if I
don't have to, I won't -- simply because I don't have to. There's
been a growing trend of banning smoking from establishments all over
the country anyway. Glenn, if you choose to make the 506 non-smoking,
I'm sure you'd have many more folks grateful for it than folks who
get upset about it. Of course, you'd probably only hear from the
complainers, so you'd just have to believe in the silent majority.
:) Only thing is, you'll have lots more folks loitering (to smoke)
in front of the 506 since there's nowhere else for folks to go.

That might be a good thing. People will walk by and think, "Hey, what's going on in there? Maybe it's something cool!"

chris

mab

Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com> wrote: Re: smoke. I missed
most of the bands at the Minutemen tribute show because I was driven
out by the smoke. Sure, I was recovering from a cold at the time so
the discomfort was particularly acute, but it really made me start
thinking how it would be nice if I could go out and see music in a
non-toxic environment. I had very tentatively explored with a few
bandmates the idea of making the last Wusses gig non-smoking, but found there was still this lingering impression that a non-smoking
show would drive away too many smokers. I don't really buy this,
since the times are a changin' and most people these days don't
smoke. Sure there's an ethical question of why we're risking the
health of a majority of people for the enjoyment of a few. But
there's also the very pragmatic question of how many non-smokers
would be attracted back to rock shows vs how many smokers would
actually be driven away. My hunch is that not many smokers would
stop coming to shows, but many more non-smokers would be willing to
come out on a weeknight for some rock. So it would make sense from a
financial perspective, not just an ethical one. Of course, I could
be totally wrong. Maybe ask the Cave whether they've noticed any
change in attendance since going non-smoking.

chris