ch-scene - RE: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Steven Keith" <skeith AT capstrat.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Durham music scene
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:45:22 -0500

Maybe you have to make the "kids" feel like they are getting away with
something. It seems that the only thing at the intersection of crowd and
music in this area is an assload of pirated mp3's and a case of Natural
Lite Ice.

My take: the batch of kids who're supposed to start standing in for
those of us in our late 30's (with kids) does not listen to local radio,
they don't see local bands as entertainment and it takes a lot of hard
work to fill a 60 Gig iPod with pilfered music and dammit they want to
feel good about that. Getting laid, I would agree makes a difference.
Somehow, its probably Pat Robertson's fault.

These kids have a broader/more global realm of choices today. And the
local scene isn't catering to as many of them as it once did.

In the 90's we all gave a shit about local college radio. It made us
feel slightly more plugged in. In my case, it told me what I was going
to be doing almost every night.