ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Rawls <jcmidrange AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:41:34 -0800 (PST)

Not sure why I felt like extending this thread, I'm
paid to be here I guess...

Grady:
>I must not go to the shows where the bandmembers are
>individually
>popular but their bands suck, because I can't even
think of one
>example.

Some of my best friends happen to be in lame
bands, so I take exceptioin to that...My woefully
limited yet very enjoyable time in bands and "bands"
has taught me that in terms of drawing a good sized
audience you really don't want to:

- play on Valentine's-unless your better half is in
the band with you or attending the show because
otherwise you're playing to an empty room (unless
you're like Prince or Viva or someone), nothing like a
big, cold shoulder being cold to you for a week.

-play with Cheer Accident-that's kind of a joke, but
kind of not a funny one...

-play a "biker rally" that involves "mods" (not that
there really is such a thing anymore, but there are
people who like to dress in mid '60's fashion and ride
scooters) AND the more stereotypical Harley types (who
do really still exist and will fight) because the
Harley types think Mods are gay and the Mods think the
Harley/"rockers" are lame so no one shows up,
especially if the promised free food has run out and
you go on stage at 4pm. But DO play a show where it's
just the scooter crowd or just the motorcycle
crowd....that's it for local experiences, I could go
on about some regional towns, but that has little to
do with the Triangle.

Kim Gordon once said it'd be more fun if bands
stayed in one town and the audience members went from
town to town to see different bands. I would agree,
though being an audience member hasn't helped buy me a
nice house in West Hampton. So, my apologies to local
club owners for all those times I bailed on a decent
local show to go out of town, it was Bo Williams'
fault, he once went to see Aphex Twin in DC and told
me it was fun, so I was hooked after that...

I apologize for mocking someone earlier for being
a potential student of the former Trinity College-it's
that time of year and Grady started the insinuation;
for telling a promoter type to go to LA-I happen to
like the Lakers and certain portions of that city and
Evan Rowe started that insinuation a few nights prior
and I'm still peeved at that building (no matter what
venue it perpetually changes into) for that time I
paid money to see Ludacris walk in and just
chill...the consolation being that Ludacris' music has
sucked since then and I think I was spotted on the
Larry Pickett show; and for saying Hepler told me to
only eat at Wimpy's, it was Calloway who told me that.

Rawls