ch-scene - Re: Smoke

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mary Anne Barckhoff <barckhoff AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Smoke
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:02:02 -0800 (PST)

Omigod, The Cave was the absolute WORST for smoke levels. I am a smoker
(yeah, yeah, I know - EVIL) and I couldn't stand the amount of smoke in the
Cave.

Personally, I have no problem with going outside to smoke... but if I
don't have to, I won't -- simply because I don't have to. There's been a
growing trend of banning smoking from establishments all over the country
anyway. Glenn, if you choose to make the 506 non-smoking, I'm sure you'd
have many more folks grateful for it than folks who get upset about it. Of
course, you'd probably only hear from the complainers, so you'd just have to
believe in the silent majority. :) Only thing is, you'll have lots more
folks loitering (to smoke) in front of the 506 since there's nowhere else
for folks to go.

mab

Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com> wrote: Re: smoke. I missed most of
the bands at the Minutemen tribute show
because I was driven out by the smoke. Sure, I was recovering from a
cold at the time so the discomfort was particularly acute, but it really
made me start thinking how it would be nice if I could go out and see
music in a non-toxic environment. I had very tentatively explored with
a few bandmates the idea of making the last Wusses gig non-smoking, but
found there was still this lingering impression that a non-smoking show
would drive away too many smokers. I don't really buy this, since the
times are a changin' and most people these days don't smoke. Sure
there's an ethical question of why we're risking the health of a
majority of people for the enjoyment of a few. But there's also the
very pragmatic question of how many non-smokers would be attracted back
to rock shows vs how many smokers would actually be driven away. My
hunch is that not many smokers would stop coming to shows, but many more
non-smokers would be willing to come out on a weeknight for some rock.
So it would make sense from a financial perspective, not just an ethical
one. Of course, I could be totally wrong. Maybe ask the Cave whether
they've noticed any change in attendance since going non-smoking.

chris