ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 07:58:01 -0500

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but the OCSC is crammed all the time -- with the same 50 people. And I'd wager that 90% of them go there to drink and smoke. ;-)

Whereas, if you're a clubowner who is featuring live music, you'd like to hope that 85% of your clientele is showing up to see the bands (and drink), not specifically to drink and smoke. And even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes, the majority of us still don't smoke.

I never go to OCSC; shit, man, if I wind up parking at one end of Main St and walking to Tyler's (or vice versa to the Cradle), I get a headache just walking *by* OCSC.

Point being that the smoke-averse have *no* reason to go to OCSC, but they do have a compelling reason to brave Local 506 upon occasion, because they want to see the bands. But after about 80 minutes, the sinuses, and the general body-fatigue that the smoke induces, become a more-compelling reason to leave.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't notice the smoke at 506 anymore; on nights after packed shows, when I walk out into the night air & get in the car & smell my clothes, I often worry about the state of yr lungs, working there night after night after night.

But I don't have any constructive suggestions as to how you can accomodate both groups, other than simply going no-smoking and letting the smokers hang out out front between bands, where they would take the place of all the non-smokers who currently flee for the sidewalk as soon as the band is done. And since we've been doing that for the past 13 years, maybe it's time to trade places ;-)

Ross

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:

As a non-smoker, I couldn't agree more...and love the smoke-free
Cradle. With that said, I met some friends tonight at Tylers in
Carrboro (to watch Duke vs State) and debated what coat to wear because
I knew there was a strong possibility we might end up at OCSC and there
are certain coats I try not to wear to bars, including 506, for the
smoke factor. This is no dis on OCSC cos I love that bar, but that
place is always more smoky than Local 506 and, on most nights, more
crowded...as it was tonight (of course, we were closed.) So, I don't
see that as big a factor as people make of it.

In fact, maybe I'm used to it, but I rarely notice the smoke at 506
(thanks to our higher ceilings) as I do at other bars. Again, it's a
factor, I agree...but not sure a way around it, but open to
suggestions...glenn