ch-scene - Re: Smoke

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Smoke
  • Date: 19 Jan 2006 08:04:59 -0800

Thanks for all the constructive input (as I sit here still noticing the
second-hand smoke in my nostrils from last night) In the past, I've
wondered if there was a way to make one of the two 'rooms' (band
area/bar area) non-smoking...and if that would even solve the problem.
Of course, no matter which room you put the smokers in, it's going to
affect the non-smokers which is probably why I never moved forward.

Well, that and the fact that one of my employees swore to me that he
would never go to a non-smoking venue and that there were a lot of
people like him (I don't smoke, so I can't relate.) Of course, I had
another employee tell me he'd never play a venue that didn't give the
band free beer (and there were plenty like him.) However, upon
changing our beer policy for bands to half price on all drinks for the
entire night (as opposed to three free PBRs per member) I've actually
only received compliments from bands.

If the town would allow people to drink on the sidewalk in front of
506, now we'd be in business. That's where the Cradle and Cave have an
advantage. Heck, even I find myself on the smoking patio of the Cradle
just to get away from the music sometimes.

And, for the record, we did have one band, Deerhoof, request a
smoke-free show - and not a single person complained, so there is a
precedent there.

glenn