ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: 18 Jan 2006 20:49:49 -0800

> Glenn: If people are leaving after one band (something I myself do on
> occasion), then I'd guess one reason would be the desire not to die of
> smoke inhalation. There are plenty of other reasons (shows start late,
> people have jobs/school/whatever,

As a non-smoker, I couldn't agree more...and love the smoke-free
Cradle. With that said, I met some friends tonight at Tylers in
Carrboro (to watch Duke vs State) and debated what coat to wear because
I knew there was a strong possibility we might end up at OCSC and there
are certain coats I try not to wear to bars, including 506, for the
smoke factor. This is no dis on OCSC cos I love that bar, but that
place is always more smoky than Local 506 and, on most nights, more
crowded...as it was tonight (of course, we were closed.) So, I don't
see that as big a factor as people make of it.

In fact, maybe I'm used to it, but I rarely notice the smoke at 506
(thanks to our higher ceilings) as I do at other bars. Again, it's a
factor, I agree...but not sure a way around it, but open to
suggestions...glenn