ch-scene - Re: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Philip Hammond" <xlate AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:56:23 GMT

Okay, I have to chime in with my first Pixies show. It was at the "Rock
Werchter" festival in Belgium in 1989. The Pixies were the second act,
wedged between Texas and Tanita Tikaram (!). I was in the Air Force and
stationed in Berlin at the time, and had no idea who the Pixies were. Their
little half-hour set blew my mind. There were some other good acts that day
(Nick Cave, Elvis Costello and his "song roulette wheel"), but the Pixies
were by far the best.
It looks like the talent went down a notch the next year (Bryan Adams!
Sting!):
http://home.hccnet.nl/o.kornegoor/historie.htm

As for Metal Flake Mother, I don't think most of their songs sounded like
The Pixies but "Deem On" sure does...
-Phil

1115917541.997447.326470 AT g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com">news:1115917541.997447.326470 AT g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...