ch-scene - RE: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Steven Keith" <skeith AT capstrat.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:10:04 -0400

How many bands have your heard claim they're "sort of like the Pixies?"
Not that they derive inspiration from them but they describe their sound
as such. In the last 10 years alone, I have heard it enough times to
learn how to make fun of it...better.

Why the hell is that? And it is so rarely any other band; always the
frickin Pixies. God damn it! And funny thing is, clear as water they
always sound 10 times more like something else they have no idea exists.

Last example: The Aisler Set. Claimed their sound was sort of like the
Pixies and a pinch of the Slits. Huh?!? Not the shags? Huh?!? Pixies?
Really? Huh?!?

Curious whether anyone else has experienced this beef-witted phenomenon.

Steven