ch-scene - Re: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- bendy <bendy AT duke.edu> wrote:
> Since I wasn't here at the time: was Metal Flake
> Mother as good live as
> their album?

in my mind, not anywhere close. i only saw them a few
times, way before java sea came out, and they sounded
like frat rock. the first time i saw them was at one
of those sunday afternoon buncha new bands for $2 kind
of thingies at the BW3 cradle. i think vanilla
trainwreck and erectus monotone were on the same
"bill," which wasn't even a bill, because it was just
whatever bands. you just went, not knowing who was
going to be playing, and saw whoever was new. even
then, though, they had a buzz, which i attributed to
them being very young and having lots of friends. i
was very uninterested by the shows, though. the album,
however, well... it's just kind of stupid to once
again say it affected my life.

also, i don't get the pixies comparison. to further
add to the pixies comparison brouhaha, i don't think
i've ever heard another band which sounds like the
pixies, except how the later pixies sounded like
fleetwood mac. so i guess it speaks well of the pixies
to say no one else sounds like them. which is maybe
why so many want to claim they sound like the pixies.

then phil had to go and remind me of deem on, which
indeed does sound like it could be a pixies *song*.
but it doesn't sound like the pixies. but hey, good
call.

yes, the surfa rosa tour stop was at the brewery.

3