ch-scene - Re: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Tim Ross" <tubacity AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: 12 May 2005 10:05:42 -0700

I still think Doolittle is really great, though obviously not as great
as Surfer Rosa and Come On Pilgrim. I copped an extra single CD copy of
the latter two, someone make me an offer if you're like me and hate the
way Warner Brothers separated those two when they re-released them.

FWIW, I thought Bossanova was really boring and I really didn't like
Trompe Le Monde at all. Mark Prindle makes a different argument,
however:

http://www.markprindle.com/pixiesa.htm

Where did the Pixies play circa Surfer Rosa, was it at The Brewery? I
saw them at the old BW3 Cradle in October 1989. It was my first-ever
Cradle show (and on a schoolnight, no less!), so I didn't quite know
what to make of the moshpit, the big obnoxious skinhead guy who was
throwing his weight around, or the opening band who broke a beer bottle
onstage for some reason. But the Pixies were really great.

I am still considering the possibility of going to see them at Disco
Rodeo but I would be way more sold on it if I knew that they would play
all their songs in alphabetical order like they did back in the day
("Bone Machine", "Break My Body", "Broken Face", "Cactus", "Debaser",
etc....). Or if they would just limit their setlist to the earlier
stuff. Otherwise it probably wouldn't be that different from when the
Pixies played UNC's Memorial Hall on the Trompe Le Monde tour. The
opening band for that show was Cloudland/Worlds of Collision-era Pere
Ubu, and Pere Ubu was not the only past-their-prime band on stage that
night. I remember thinking that the show sucked, though I think I was
comparing it to the Doolittle tour and so maybe I was just disappointed
about hearing so much of the Bossanova/Trompe Le Monde material.

Still Tippin',

TR