ch-scene - Re: Moving

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Moving
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:27:10 -0400

Michael,

Welcome. I live in Raleigh and love it. I'm in the Five Points district myself, and there are great neighborhoods all over the city that'd I'd be pleased to live in.

I don't know you, so it's hard to recommend on that basis, but if you prefer lively neighborhoods, art house theatres, indie coffeeshops and eclectic food choices to the rather more pale offerings of typical suburbia, stripmalls and chain restaurants, then I'd advise looking generally 'Inside the Beltline' or 'ITB'. The N&O makes this distinction in their classifieds. Most of their display ads are going to be from the bigger new developments.

North Raleigh tends to be more typically suburban, and Cary even more so. Personally I'd avoid them.

ITB Raleigh is basically a low slung series of neighborhoods, mostly grown together, most with walkable streets, mostly decent parking and filled with good people. Some of these grown-together areas border on some more problematic zones, but that's something you'll just need to ask about, be aware of and make your own peace with. For the most part it's fine. I've never had a single problem anything like this in the five plus years I've been here.

I'd advise getting with a realtor who specializes in the area. I don't have anyone in particular to recommend but have heard good things about Don Moody. Some neighbors of ours just listed with Paul Setliff. His website has a very nice description of the various neighborhoods. Don't be too put off by the prices, these homes grow in value while you live in them, and there are plenty of affordable options.

No offense to anyone on the list, but there tends to be a definite Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham leaning among the group, so the recommendations my pull in that direction. Those are great places too, each with a little different flavor and offerings. There does tend to be a little bit of local pride that folks have in their choice of borough. Plenty of great options all around the area, but I'd avoid anything that puts you I-40 during the commuting hours.

good luck,

--rt

Don Moody, Owner
Cornerstone Properties
1600 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27608
Office Phone: 919-821-4500
E-mail: don21480 AT aol.com

Paul Setliff
http://www.paulsetliff.com/hoods/historichoods.htm

Michael Lang wrote:

So I'm moving to Raleigh in mid-July from Pittsburgh. I know no one
in the city, and still have yet to find a place to live. I was
referred to this list by the only person I know in the triangle area.
I was told it was filled with friendly people who are happy to
answer.