ch-scene - Re: Moving

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Moving
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:16:57 -0400

Somebody who actually lives in Raleigh will want to speak up with specifics, but the N&O ads are probably still yr best bet. As for figuring out the neighborhoods, it has all changed a bit, gentrification-wise, from when I lived there 10 years ago, but I have the impression that Oakwood & Boylan Heights are still good places to start, with the caveat that some streets will probably be gentrified out of your price-range, whereas others might still be sketchier than you were looking for.

Five Points used to be an option as well, but post-Glenwood South boom, I'm guessing none of us could afford to move there now.

Bottom line: inside the beltline is still where you want to live if you're the kind of person who'd post to alt.music.chapel-hill looking for suggestions. You should be able to find a freestanding house or a duplex; if you're not dead-set on such things, there are zillions of apartment complexes and I'm not sure that any one is any better than any other, so proximity to what you'll be doing becomes more important.

So I guess the other obvious question: what are you going to be doing in Raleigh? Going to school or working? Are you set on Raleigh or have you considered the other towns in the Triangle? There are housing bargains to be had in Durham, to be sure.

Good luck,

Ross

Michael Lang wrote:

So I'm moving to Raleigh in mid-July from Pittsburgh. I know no one
in the city, and still have yet to find a place to live. I was
referred to this list by the only person I know in the triangle area.
I was told it was filled with friendly people who are happy to
answer. I've been looking for places on the News Observer online,
but I'm a little lost not knowing any of the neighborhoods in the
city. Anywhere else I look I just get endless links to "The Pines at
Suncrest" or "Suncrest at the Pines" or some soulless townhouse
community with a similar name. Any guidance anyone could offer me as
far as good places to live in Raleigh would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, Michael Lang mjlang1979 AT yahoo.com