cc-metadata - metadata fun

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: "cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: metadata fun
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:43:02 -0700

Hello all,

I just joined the cc-metadata list because I wanted to inform you all
that two of the projects I'm involved in, Inkscape, an Open Source
drawing program (vector graphics based) and the Open Clip Art Library
(http://www.openclipart.org/), a public domain collection of user
submitted clip art, both support Creative Commons metadata.

Inkscape even has an interface so that one could add metadata to a file.

Open Clip Art Library uses the metadata inside the SVG files to organize
the collection, and maintain authorship data.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello, and tell people about these things.
I will participate in the list now. I also hope to help encourage other
uses of cc-metadata.

I gave a presentation that discussed this the last couple of days at
desktopcon.org

I would really like to see a generic software library for editing
cc-metadata in many different file types (svg, mp3, png, jpg, etc). I
don't think anyone has done this, but it would be a great to develop
some generic interface for developers to use with their applications
that is governed by the GPL. I don't see that this has yet happened,
correct?

Would anyone be interested in this project?

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

USA PH 510.499.0894