cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:39:49 -0500

Mia Garlick wrote:
what the law does not say is that:

I, as the landowner, will let you put a fence that is made by someone
else on my land and then i will let you or some random other person
cut that someone else's fence...

do you see what i am getting at?

Still no, I'm afraid.

How can the law possibly care who made the fence? Almost no one makes their own fence wire. Surely if you put up a fence, it's your fence, not the fence-maker's fence?

It's seems like this would be totally irrelevant to the discussion. It's like saying you'd have to pay Ford for fixing your own fender, because they made the car.

Likewise, if I applied TPM technology A, produced by "TPM-Corp" to my file, then surely I am entitled to remove it at will? Likewise, I may enter into an agreement to authorize others to remove it -- in this case, as a condition for having been able to apply it in the first place. I really can't understand how any of this is TPM-Corp's business: they don't own the file, they don't have the authorization to lock it or unlock it. They basically have no rights at stake in this situation (how can they have?).

Cheers,
Terry